Nikon VR 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED Lens
A broad range of focal lengths is extremely useful, of course, as it means not taking the lens off and on the camera except when you require something special, such as really wide angle coverage, faster lens aperture, macro coverage, or very long reach telephoto potential.
The Nikon 18-105mm Lens has a hybrid AF-S system, you can occasionally override the focus manually, though the camera will fight you on this more than it does on those lenses with an A/M and M switch (the 18-105mm has only an A and M switch). The focus ring itself is nearby to the body, the style of latest consumer Nikkor zooms. Covering angles of view equal to 27mm to 157.5mm, it represents a good general purpose lens for daily photography and is priced accordingly.
Nikon's internal focusing system enables the lens to be used with angle-critical filters, such as polarizer’s, while a Silent Wave Motor focus drive guarantees fast and quiet auto focusing. Simply Nikon AF-S DX 18-105mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR lens is a excellent option for someone who needs more than the basic kit lens has to offer, while remaining compact and lightweight.
As with most of the DX consumer zooms, the 18-105mm is sharp to very sharp in the centre, yet wide open. It has to some extent enhanced performance one stop down, but not sufficient to keep away from maximum aperture. Also like most of the other DX consumer zooms, the corners are weakest at the widest and longest focal lengths and okay otherwise.
• Compact and lightweight at 14.8 ounces, in part due to its all-plastic construction.
• As an internal focusing (IF) lens, the front element does not rotate, this makes it good for working with circular polarizing filters.
• The filter size is 67mm, with plastic threads on the filter mount.
• There is no focusing scale, no depth-of-field scale and no infrared focusing marks. The only markings on the lens are the focal lengths show in white with markings for 18, 24, 35, 50, 70 and 105mm.
• Nikon's VR optical image stabilization technology. The VR compensates in real-time for shake and vibration with no humiliation to the image. With only one mode, it is either on or off.
• Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) delivers fast and calm auto focusing.
• It employs Nikon's Super Integrated Coating for reduced flare and chromatic aberration. It works in conjunction with one ED (extra low dispersion) lens element and one aspherical lens element to ensure sharpness and contrast.
• The lens integrates Nikon's AF/Manual switch on the body. To focus manually just turn the focus ring, even if you're shooting in AF.